Could You Save 20%?
Would you like to not pay the VAT on your order?
Did you know that co-operative Xest run a government-backed scheme that means that you
may well be able to not pay the VAT
on some of your purchases of products from co-operative Xest at the time you order and complete your purchase! This scheme specifically applies to individuals, not companies or businesses.
We have made it as easy as possible for you to buy items without paying VAT if the VAT-exemption scheme applies to you. However, as you would expect, not all purchases by all customers are eligible; so here is the very important information on how this scheme works:
- The product being purchased must be for someone who is chronically ill or disabled (see below for more information on this). You could be buying it for yourself or you may be buying for someone else, but it is the status of the person for whom it is purchased that is the important fact.
- The exemption only covers items intended for domestic or personal use.
- Only the products on our site carrying the VAT-exemption price (it appears in brackets where it is applicable) are eligible to be purchased this way.
- You (or, if you are buying the items for someone else, that person) then have to complete a VAT-exemption declaration (declaring that you or the person you are buying for are eligible for the scheme) when making your purchases and we have to keep a record of your declaration. You can do this online or by mail order but not by telephone.
- If you are buying for someone else that person should make the declaration if possible. But if that person is unable to do (for example he or she is a child or unable to write) you can make it instead and explain it is done on their behalf.
Chronically sick or disabled means a person:
- With a physical or mental impairment which has a long term and substantial adverse effect upon his or her ability to carry out everyday activities, or
- With a condition which the medical profession treats as a chronic sickness, such as diabetes
- Who is terminally ill
Domestic or personal use means:
That the item or service purchased must be made available specifically for the use of an eligible individual.
And the item or service is not made widely available for a whole group of people.
Why do I have to make a declaration each time I order?
We do appreciate that sadly, some of our customers have long-term conditions that are not going to improve. So, in those circumstances, we understand how frustrating it must be to have to complete the VAT-exemption declaration each time you order, when you’ve already told us that you are eligible. Unfortunately, it is a legal requirement that we ask for this information in each and every purchase. However, we have worked very hard to make this as simple as possible and it really does only take a few moments to complete.